Friday, April 2, 2021

Who's your dance partner?


People are often surprised with all the God stories I share with them. I am often surprised that people don’t have more of their own. It’s not like I’m some super Christian or live a more Godly life than others, as you well know if you are regular Gena’s Jewels reader. I have come to realize the only difference is I recognize them more. I see myself in a daily relationship with the Lord.

I spent the weekend with a friend and I asked her about her relationship with her husband, what she thought was the reason they have stayed together for so many years and continue to like each other. Her response was beautiful. She said she believes each relationship writes its own song, and then you dance to it. 

She said every song is different you can’t give your song to someone else, everyone has their own.

I started thinking about what she said, what were the words to the song? I realized the words were the things that are important to each person, what makes each person tick.

What could wound and what could make stronger, the gauge to picking your battles, these things are the lyrics to the song. Then you create a dance that will move to these words. Get your own rhythm to your dance that allows you to move as one. I thought of ball room dancing and how the couples just seem to float across the floor as one. What a beautiful picture this made in my mind.


The same theory is applied to your walk with the Lord. It’s about dancing with Him through this journey we call life. You have to recognize Him as your partner and how He is involved in writing your song. 

It doesn’t always have to be big things, as in any relationship it’s the day to day life that keeps it going. It made me think that the lyrics to the song are the events that happen in your life, including the battles, and the chorus would be the good times including the praises you give to God for getting you through the battles. 

The Bible says in 2Timothy 2:8a so do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord.

That’s really what it all comes down to, not being ashamed or embarrassed to talk about God, how He’s alive and living with you. Why is it that we are more afraid of what someone may think of us than we are in not giving God the credit that’s due Him? You wouldn’t tell people how happily married you are and never give kudos to your spouse would you?

Psalm 92:1a it is good to praise the Lord and make music to your name O most High. 

It takes music/praise or testimonies to have a song, then in Psalm 119:24 "testimonies also are my delight." 

It’s not just God delighting in my testimonies but me delighting in His. Like I said it takes two people to do the dance. The Holy Spirit has a sense of humor, He just said to me “unless it’s break dancing”


 I thought even the name “break dancing” doesn’t sound as romantic. We tend to “break” when we are trying to do this dance alone. 

The ball room dancer doesn’t look quite as graceful holding her hands out with no partner. OK I got off track that’s not hard for me to do, as I was saying.

I have witnessed the Lord do little things like have someone give me something I just mentioned to God I needed to seeing God heal me of a blood clot on my lung. Everything you go through is part of your song, your testimony.

I was doing a Bible study one time and the instructor had us make a time line of our life.

I remembered not wanting to do that exercise because I didn’t have many good memories of my past but what she had us do next was see where God was at each point.

When I really remembered each situation, I also remembered people God put in my life at that same time that were so good to me. Now when I think of my past I have more good memories than bad and it’s the same past. I’m just dancing with a new partner. 

I pray you too will take time each day to see if you’re “break” dancing, tying to live this life by yourself or if you’re allowing the Lord to be your dance partner.

Like my friend said each dance is personal and no one can do the same dance. Your walk is a personal one with the Lord so I hope you give testimony about God in your life and delight in each other. Write your own song and then “I hope you dance.”




2 comments:

  1. that makes sense. i was just telling sophia about some cool stuff God did. love ya ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, especially the part about break dancing. He is the Vine, we are the branches. Apart from him we can do nothing. Love you friend ❤️

    ReplyDelete