Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pumpkins & Dragons

I want to tell you a story that happened to me 26 years ago.
I was a young woman with 2 small children going through a divorce. Each day I would drive 30 minutes to my babysitters house to drop off Amanda who was 2 , then to preschool to drop off Anthony who was 3. From there I would drive to work, leave everyday at lunch time to pick Anthony up from preschool take him to the sitter than go back to work. At the end of the day I would pick up both children and drive 30 minutes back home to do dinner, baths and bed and start all over again the next morning.
The preschool Anthony attended was at a church and for some reason his teacher didn't like me.
I know I'm as shocked as you are :)
I don't know what her problem was but she always had this condescending attitude with me. I don't think she approved of me being such a young mother and getting a divorce didn't help.
I was always in a rush and forgot about stuff often as I was an emotional wreck. If Anthony didn't love the school so much I would have taken him somewhere else.
One particular morning I will never forget I was my usual scattered self trying not to cry in front of my kids as we did our morning drive.
I dropped off Amanda at the sitters then proceeded to the preschool.
Anthony and I ran up the stairs because we were late again. When we got to the classroom I looked in and all the kids were in costumes for the Halloween party.
I just froze at the door then looked down at my sweet 3 year olds smiling face and was horrified that I forgot about the party. His teacher came to the door and once again gave me the look of disgust as she ushered Anthony into the classroom.
I freaked out. I felt like the worst mother in the world and obviously confirmed it to my sons teacher.
This was before 24 hour Walmart and there were no department stores between my job and the school, not to mention it was still early. I had no idea what to do.
As I'm driving down the road crying I notice a Walgreens that was recently built and it was open. I ran into the store and the only thing I could find was a pumpkin mask, I bought it.
I drove back to the school and ran back up the stairs to the classroom.
By now all the children were in full party mode admiring one anothers costumes. I called Anthony and he came out to the hall. I very excitedly held out the mask and said with as much enthusiasm as I could muster, “your a pumpkin!” He grabbed the mask and had the biggest smile I had ever seen. He ran into the classroom and proudly announced to everyone “I'M A PUMPKIN!”
I turned and walked down the stairs to leave. When I reached the bottom step I heard the sweetest voice call out “mommy” I turned around and standing at the top of the stairs was my little pumpkin with his mask pulled up and he said “thank you mommy.”
It is a memory I will treasure forever.
Fast forward 24 years.
That same son is staying with me for a while with my two grandsons. I try to stay out of his way in the morning when he's getting the boys ready for school so I'm not a distraction. I stay in my room till just before they leave then I come out to say goodbye.

OK I have to take a side journey here for a minute. A couple of weeks before the story I'm going to tell you happened a friend of mine gave me some clothes for my youngest grandson Lucas. She also gave me a dragon costume which I told her to keep because we wouldn't need it and it was a really nice costume. She told me to take it anyway and I hesitated but then put it in my car with the rest of the clothes.
I figured I would bring it to the Soup kitchen for one of the kids I see there. The night I went to soup kitchen I went to take the costume out of my car but decided not to. I didn't realize God was already working something out for me.

OK back to my story. I woke up on Friday morning and for some reason Lucas was heavily on my mind. The Holy Spirit told me to come out of my room before the boys left for school. I was listening to the commotion going on outside the door and could tell Anthony had his hands full. I thought me coming out there might not be helpful so I hesitated. Again I heard the Holy Spirit say go out there and this time I listened.
I hugged the boys as my son was rushing to get them out the door to catch the bus.
A few minutes after they left I noticed a paper on the kitchen table and picked it up (Holy Spirit at work) I read the paper and it was from Lucas' teacher reminding the parents about he character parade at school that morning and for the children to make sure they had their costume as they would be going around the whole school.
I ran to the door to catch my son because I knew he didn't know anything about this but it was too late they were gone.
I went to my room to get my phone to call him and as I'm looking for my phone I hear the door open and in walks my son.
I was surprised he was back because I knew they were already late. I asked why he came back and he said in an exasperated voice that he forgot something (Holy Spirit at work)
I showed him the paper and asked if he knew about the parade and as you may have guessed he didn't. He asked where I found the paper.
Gems that paper was not only on the table where he fed the boys it was printed on neon green paper which is what caught my eye AND it was in front of Lucas' chair.
My son didn't see it (maybe it wasn't there) but My God who cares about every detail of our lives made sure I did.
My son had no time to fix this dilemma as the bus would be there in 10 minutes and the parade would start soon after the kids arrived at school.
I asked Lucas (he's 5) what kind of costume he was supposed to have and he said a fairytale one.
Guess what was in my car? That's right a dragon costume. Not only did we have a costume but it fit him perfectly.
I quickly ran to my car pulled out the costume and handed it to Lucas. His whole face lit up and he gave me the biggest smile.
I had a flash back as I had seen that smile before.
I looked over to my son and he mouthed out “thank you mom.”
For just a moment he was five years old holding a pumpkin mask. I could feel my eyes filling with tears as I relived that moment.
Later that morning I told Anthony the story of his costume day and we praised the Lord for His mercy and kindness.
Anthony met Lucas at the school and watched his little dragon in the parade.
Lucas thought his dad was a hero just as my boy thought I was a hero but the true hero was and is God.
Gems God cares about every aspect of our lives the big details and the little ones.
You may be thinking it was just a dumb costume and it wasn't life threatening but to a parent whose going through a hard time it's scenarios like that the devil uses to make you feel like a failure.
The Bible says the Lord will work all things out for the good to those who love Him.
I'm glad that working out includes pumpkins and dragons :)

3 comments:

  1. God Bless Gena,
    What a great name for a book... "Pumpkins and Dragons"!
    No, seriously, absolutely loved this one. I actually got something stuck in my eye on this inspiring article. Keep it up!!!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me cry, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great story. Thanks for sharing. I love when we can look back and see or have stories like that.

    ReplyDelete