Tuesday, June 14, 2011

You Wanna Peace of Me

I was reading a devotional from Joseph Prince today that really hit the “peace of God” statement. The following paragraph is from that devotional.

Before that first Passover night, all the children of Israel had received the same Word of God — “when I see the blood, I will pass over you”. (Exodus 12:13) But I believe that some households lived through that night trembling in fear as they heard the loud wails outside their homes, while other households rested in God’s Word, ate their Passover lamb and spent the night rejoicing in His protection, deliverance and love for them.

What a great example of the peace of God.
It got me thinking about our lives today. We all have the same Bible with the same promises but do we all rest with peace in those promises?
God's word says if we have the faith of a mustard seed we can tell a mountain to move and it will. Not by our power but by God's.
When God asks me to do something I know I can't do I'm not putting my faith in my ability but I put my faith in God's power to make it happen.
For example:
If you are a regular reader of Gena's Jewels you know the Lord moved me and my family to Tampa and we lived with an awesome couple that are now our dearest friends. We had lost our home and I was unemployed for about 2 years. About 6 months after we moved to Tampa the Lord sent me a job and after 4 months of working that job the Lord told me it was time to move on.
Let me tell you Gems in today's economy and the knowledge of how many people are looking for jobs people thought I was CRAZY for leaving a perfectly good job.
My daughter and I had just moved into our own apartment and just got it set up.
What was my plan? How was I going to pay my rent? My car insurance? Food? You know the list.
My friends and family were nervous for me and I truly appreciated it but I was at complete peace. Not because I knew the how part of the above questions but I knew the who part of the equation.
If God told me to do something it wasn't my job to figure out how it was going to happen it was His.
I was at peace in the situation because I know who God is and I trust Him. As a matter of fact I remember a really good friend who invited me over her house to talk. She had a worried look on her face and I could tell she was upset about something. I sat down with her and as she began to speak I realized she was worried about me. She said she had some concerns about my decisions and wanted to make sure I was thinking clearly. I started to laugh because she looked worried sick and I was completely at peace.
One of the pieces of God's armor is peace. Ephesians 6:15 with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
What does readiness mean? It's the action of being ready. We need to be ready to do what ever God asks us to do and if we have our feet planted in God's word we will be able to handle it with peace. Remember this is part of the armor, you only wear armor when your going to battle both worldly battle and spiritual battle and God is telling us we can do battle and still have peace.
Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.
We were called to have peace.
Trust me Gems I didn't always have this peace. The first time God asked me to jump you could probably fit a piece of paper under my feet cause that's as high as he asked me to jump.
Each time I jumped He was faithful to catch me so when he asked me to jump a little higher I did. It was a process. After He caught me I had peace and the next time He sent me on a journey I would remember that peace.
Remember we all have the same promises.
I want to encourage you today to rest in the peace of knowing God will never leave or forsake you. If He sends you on a new journey embrace it knowing the results are not based on your ability but on God's power. Your job is to trust and obey.
I'll close with Isaiah 26:3-4 You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trust in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord, is the Rock eternal.
If you wanna peace from Him, He will be faithful to give it to you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment