Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Safe In The Lord


I was reading in 1 Chronicles 21 today.1 Chronicles 21:1-3 Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel. So David said to Joab and to the leaders of the people, “Go, number Israel from Beersheba to Dan, and bring the number of them to me that I may know it.” And Joab answered, “May the LORD make His people a hundred times more than they are. But, my lord the king, are they not all my lord’s servants? Why then does my lord require this thing? Why should we be a cause of guilt in Israel?”
Basically King David tells Joab to get a count of all the troops and Joab responds with WHAT!!! Why would you want to bring guilt on Israel?
You may be asking yourself as I did, why is this a bad thing? Why would it be wrong for the Commander of an army who is constantly in battle to know how many fighting men he has. In the worlds system it makes perfect sense. But if your a Christian you are not part of the worlds system.
Let's look closer at the scenario.
David and Joab knew God's word that was spoken back in Deuteronomy 1:11 May the Lord, the God our your fathers, increase you a thousand times and bless you as he has promised.
God had already promised Israel He would increase their numbers and bless them.
In Joab's eyes it was a slap in God's face to count how many fighting men the army had. It didn't matter if they had 100 fighting men or 100,000,000 fighting men God's word was spoken. David should have felt the same way when satan gave him the idea. Gems the devil can do more harm to us by tempting us to sin against our God than he does by accusing us before our God.
David was having a pride issue here not a promise issue. The Bible never says David didn't believe the promise God spoke in Deuteronomy. David was taking matters into his own hands believing he was the reason for the victories the people of Israel had been winning.
Sometimes it's the leaders who knows the scriptures the best that are the ones who are the worst at the application of those scriptures.
We some how allow pride to seep in and we think we are above temptation.
For example.
A few weeks ago I sent out a prayer by David Jeremiah on the spiritual armor and how to apply it. (If you didn't get it let me know and I will be happy to resend it to you) I printed out the prayer and was diligent in praying it over myself daily. The odd thing is the more I prayed it the more warning dreams I seem to be having that I was in for a spiritual attack. I assumed the attack was from outside my personal camp and pride led me to believe I could handle whatever it was because I know scripture and believe God's promises.
Well Gems it came from within my camp and it about took me out. I was definitely wounded and had to lay low for several days resting in the arms of my sweet Jesus for healing.
The “what” isn't important the how and why are.
When I, like King David in the above scripture took matters into my own hands and started relying on my own strength I opened the door for the enemy. You see I was putting on my spiritual armor but forgetting the power was in the one who made it not my power to put it on.
I was counting on me to handle my upcoming battle and not relying on the promise of God that what ever was coming He could handle it for me. Needless to say when the attack came I was blind sided and laid out. The good news is the promises of God were and are still true. I could land in my Savior's arms and He did tend to my wounds and is still carrying me, armor and all, through this season. You see I fell into pride and started asking God to reveal things to me in the spirit realm that I didn't know about because I thought I could handle it. It wasn't wrong to ask, and it wasn't wrong for God to tell me I just forgot the promise of provision was from God, not me. My prayer should have been Lord show me things in the spirit that I am ready to receive. Protect me from what I'm not ready for and fill me with your power to handle whatever truths are revealed.
I'm not saying what was revealed would not have still hurt, trust me it would have but I wouldn't have been so shocked when it came from within my camp.
Daniel 2:21-22 And He changes the times and the seasons;He removes kings and raises up kings; He gives wisdom to the wise And knowledge to those who have understanding. He reveals deep and secret things; He knows what is in the darkness, And light dwells with Him.
We can handle the dark as long as we remember where the light to rescue us comes from. Like any army general you need to know what is in the darkness so you know how to prepare for battle but you must remember it is GOD who will resucue you not your amazing ability to lead or awesome knowledge of warfare.
My dear friend Betty sent me Psalm 4 Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer How long, O you sons of men,Will you turn my glory to shame? How long will you love worthlessness And seek falsehood? Selah But know that the LORD has set apart for Himself him who is godly;The LORD will hear when I call to Him. Be angry, and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still. Selah Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, And put your trust in the LORD. There are many who say, “Who will show us any good?” LORD, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us. You have put gladness in my heart, More than in the season that their grain and wine increased. I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.
What powerful words. My safety wasn't in me any more than David's was in the number of men in his army. Jesus is the ultimate King and warrior. He begins and ends the battle. He will protect us no matter how many are in our army. Gems all our safety is in the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment