Thursday, August 11, 2011

Live Like A Tortoise


My daughter Amanda recently went on a missions trip to Africa and my job was to take care of Juliet for her. Juliet is a tortoise and as you may or may not know pets are not my thing so a tortoise was just my speed, no pun intended.
Juliet lives in an aquarium that has a small rock pool with a log to climb on or under and of course her food dish. There are other odds and ends placed in her home for her pleasure. Juliet doesn't have to do any tricks or make any deals with me in order for me to tend to her daily needs, she just has to trust that I will. I take care of her because I'm her current owner and it's my responsibility. She never appears to be stressed out or worried I'm not going to do my job. She's never wailing or banging her head against the glass begging me to take care of her. She just goes about her life doing whatever it is that tortoise do. There are days however that Juliet attempts tasks that take her out of her shell :)
For instance, she will climb onto the top of the log and do a nose dive. I don't understand the purpose of this but I'm not a tortoise. The first few times she tried this trick she fell on her back and couldn't roll over. I of course would run over to the tank and give her an at a girl for trying something new then turn her right side up. After a few times of me rescuing her she attempted the dare devil stunt again. I thought to myself is this tortoise stupid or what? But then I found myself cheering for her, come on Juliet you can do this thing. She made her ascent once more, making for her the difficult climb to the top of the log. When at the top she stretched out her neck and did her free fall. She once again hit the bottom and landed on her side then ended on her back. This time I waited before I turned her over. I stayed near by and watched the whole time but I just let her battle it. Her little legs were flaring and her long neck came out and she smashed her face into the glass trying to get some leverage (that was pretty funny.) Finally she did it, she rolled over all by herself. I actually ran over to her and yelled YEA Juliet you did it! I have to admit I was proud of her.
All in all taking care of a tortoise has to be the easiest job I have ever done.
As I was sitting here this morning watching Juliet climb around in her little glass world it got me thinking about my life with God.
In that regard our relationships are very similar. God takes care of my needs every day just like He said He would. Part of the Lord's prayer is Give us this day our daily bread. It doesn't say our monthly or weekly bread but our daily bread. Food for one day at a time, so if you don't have a pantry full of food it's OK because God will take care of each day.
I don't have to do any tricks or make any deals for the Lord to take care of me, He's my owner and that's His job. Like Juliet my job is to trust it will happen.
Just as I can always see Juliet from every angle in her glass world Jesus can see me at all times.
Psalm 139:1-12 You have searched me, LORD, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day,for darkness is as light to you.
There isn't a time I'm hidden from the presence of the Lord, so if I decide to get out of my shell and attempt new adventures He will be there to rescue me when I fall.
Psalm 34:17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.
As a matter of Fact Peter tells us the Lord will allow us to go through trials and troubles. 1 Peter 4:12-13 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.
When I moved to Tampa Nathanael was a senior in High School and wasn't coming with us. After much discussion we decided he would stay in Lake County and live with his father and Jessica and I would move to Tampa. I didn't understand why we would move without him as I didn't feel it was in Nathanael's best interest. As the months went by I was heart broken about Nathanael not being with me and I missed him terribly. He wasn't doing all that great either. He had a bout with depression which only enhanced my mommy guilt. I was very much like Juliet, a tortoise laying on her back arms wailing and crying out to God “how is this part of the plan?”
I had to trust that God had the best plan and of course He did. The months we were here before Nathanael came we made a lot of good friends and many contacts in the church we joined. When Nathanael graduated and moved to Tampa he was accepted in the Up Rising program at the church and his journey took a turn for the positive that I could have never pulled off on my own. Like Peter said, I was overjoyed when God's glory was revealed!
Even if I couldn't see Him while I was struggling God was right there watching the whole time, maybe even cheering me on.
Just like my new friend Juliet we can live like a tortoise in the aquarium of God knowing He will take care of all our daily needs and rescue us when we need it. So Gems I encourage you live like a tortoise!

No comments:

Post a Comment