Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Don’t Ask Again


Have you ever had someone say that to you? Have you ever said it? When my kids were little and they would ask for something like “can I have ice-cream” and I say yes, but they ask a few minutes later. ”Can I have ice-cream” and I say yes, than a little later “can I have ice-cream” and I yell, “I said yes but if you ask me again the answer is no!”
Have you ever heard God tell you to stop asking for something?
I had it happen to me. It’s a strange phenomenon. You know you’re supposed to pray without ceasing and bring all your request before the Lord so when He told me to pretty much “shut it” I was caught off guard.
My request was for very dear friends of mine that were trying to have a second child. Gems it was so weird because I prayed faithfully, fervently, tenaciously as if I were praying for myself or one of my children. Why did I want this prayer answered so badly? Yes I was and am a good friend and do pray faithfully for my friends but I was a praying machine over this one.
I called my friend and told her what God said. I laughed when I told her she got me in trouble with our Father. I explained that I was not going to stop believing for her son but I was going to stop asking :)
The truth is I had a prayer request of my own that I desired as much as I believed they desired a child. I totally understood their plight. I went before the Lord almost daily and I knew the answer was yes. I knew beyond a shadow of doubt they would have a baby and it would be a boy. The part I was having trouble with was the waiting on God.
I remember clearly the day I went to the King again to ask for this little boy and He said “I already told you yes quit asking.”
Why was I still asking? Like I said the problem was, it wasn’t in the time frame I thought it was going to be. As if God does anything based on our agenda. When we pray an unselfish prayer for our brothers or sisters with clean motives I believe it touches our Father's heart but the bottom line is it will still be answered when He decides it's best for His kids.
It made me think of David. The Prophet Samuel comes to his house and announces he would be the next king. I don't know how old he was I'm thinking a teenager. So try and imagine this day. Picture yourself as David the night of the big announcement. He must have been like, oh yea call me king baby. He must have had trouble sleeping that night thinking he's moving to the big house tomorrow. Thoughts of finally getting out of the pasture and taking care of smelly sheep. No more harassment from his older brothers.
Can you imagine how he felt when he woke up the next day and Samuel was gone and his dad said “get back out to the pasture and take care of the sheep.” WHAT? Where's my chariot? My Castle? My servants? It was years before David became King, but the Bible doesn't say he spent that time asking over and over, can I be king? He knew the answer was yes he just had to wait on God's timing.
I was so sure this baby prayer was answered and it was specifically a boy just like we believed for. I even bought him an outfit for his mom to hang in his one day closet.
I remember every time I heard someone was pregnant at our church I would think, “Lord why isn’t it my friend?” I was happy for the person with child but sad for my prayer waiting friend.
I'm sure there were days David asked, is this the day Lord?
Part of me subconsciously felt like if this prayer wasn’t answered for my friend mine wouldn’t be either. I have no idea why I felt that way. One thing had nothing to do with the other I’m just telling you what went on in my irrational head. It was that desires of the heart verse that kept swirling in my mind.
Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Did He mean it? Did He mean it for me?
I have concluded that God didn't always answer prayers quickly in Bible times and He doesn't always answer quickly now. It's good to watch other people waiting on a promise from God because it encourages us when our prayer is taking a while. It's good to see people struggle through so they can encourage us when their on the other side of their answer and we are still waiting.
I remember the day I found out my friend was pregnant, I literally burst into tears. I was so excited for both her and her sweet husband. I praised the Lord that His answer had arrived. The one He gave about 5 years prior, that they would indeed have a son.
Gems he was so worth the wait. He is such a cute little boy and I know the Lord has an amazing plan for him as he does all his babies. For me, every time I see his picture posted on Face Book it encourages me. When I look at pictures of him and his family (and there's a lot of them, you know who you are :) I can't help but be filled with joy.
The bottom line on this lesson was “don’t ask me again” meant believe now. Believe when others seem to be getting their answer and you aren’t. Believe when others are telling you not to. Believe when you are telling yourself desires are for others not for you. Believe and quit asking when you know the answer is yes and start preparing for your request.
Unlike me in the above example, God would not change His answer just because I was driving him crazy asking for ice-cream and wanting it now!!!!
Thank you Lord for answered prayer and perfect timing.


No comments:

Post a Comment