Saturday, April 6, 2013

Commitment of a Dove

Well Gems I had a traumatic encounter today I want to tell you about.
It was such a beautiful day I had all my windows open enjoying the day when all of a sudden I hear this ruckus outside the kitchen window. 
I look out and my landlord's dog is running around the screened in lanai with a dove in his mouth.

Now I want you to have a visual here. I was coloring my hair so I was wearing this old t-shirt that is covered in hair dye. I'm pretty sure I had a brown ring around my forehead. 
OK so I start yelling out the window “Tonka, NO NO put the bird down.” I run out my door, around the back yard into the lanai and yell TONKA! 
He drops the bird but still has a mouth full of feathers and there are feathers blowing all over the place. I'm like ahhhhh! 
I'm trying to get the crazy dog into his house when the doves partner flies down to be near his mate and Tonka makes a run for him. 
Now he's got that bird in his mouth and the other dog is coming outside. (you know what a great pet lover I am) So now I'm trying to grab two black labs and save the doves single handed. 
I finally get Tonka to let go of the second dove and dove one is laying on the ground in a puddle of blood.

 I get the dogs in the house and I'm trying not to cry. I look through the sliding glass door and Tonka is now inside with a mouth full of feathers.
I call my landlord and leave a message on his voice mail that I'll explain the feathers later... REALLY I'm just trying to relax here.
I go over to dove two and he won't move. He just stands there next to his dead mate looking devastated.

It was truly heartbreaking. I'm now apologizing to this bird. He's just staring at me, probably wondering what's going on with my hair.
In the mean time my landlord's room mate comes home and walks outside, no doubt wondering why Tonka is growing a beard, he looks at me with the same scared face of dove 2. Again probably wondering whats going on with my head. After a quick explanation I leave. A little while later dove 2 died. It was either a broken heart over his mate or heart failure from the scary human.

I went back in my house and thought that is true love. 

That dove swooped down trying to help it's' mate get away from an animal 50x bigger than it.
As always this got me thinking about Jesus, true love does that.
No wonder He used the dove out of all the animals to appear after He was baptized.
Matthew 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him

I made some comparisons of Jesus and the dove.
Doves: perch on telephone wires
Jesus: is always calling us
Mourning Doves are the most frequently hunted species in North America Jesus is either being hunted for by people who need him or shot at by those who continue to reject Him.
When taking off and landing, Mourning Doves’ wings make a loud whistling that may help startle predators or warn flock mates.
Jesus always has our back using the Bible to warn us and the Holy Spirit to fight spiritual battles.
Mourning Doves feed on the ground and in the open.
Jesus left Heaven and lived among us, right out in the open.

But the thing I loved the most is that Doves find a mate and stay together for  life.

Jesus also stays with us for a lifetime, even in the face of danger 50x bigger than us He will come to our rescue. 
 
And we will spend eternity with perfect love and the commitment of a dove.

2 comments: