Sunday, February 2, 2014

Comfort Tomb


I was having a Nana day with my grandson Lucas and he was telling me the story about Lazarus from John 11. As he retold the story to me in Lucas version he said “And God called Lazarus out of the grave, out loud so Lazarus would be the only dead guy to come out.”
Gems at that moment I had a mental picture of a bunch of mummies sitting up, looking at each other and saying me you me you????


This of course got me thinking that God does call each one of us by name. We may not be called to raise someone from the dead but we may be called to raise someone’s hopes from the dead.
 I think sometimes we think if we don’t have some huge calling that we are not being called at all but that my friend is a lie from the pit.


I love the story of Elijah when he wanted to hear from God.
1 King 19:11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: 12And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire 

Gems most times it’s the still small voice inside of you that is telling you what God wants from you but you are in your comfort tomb, wrapped up tightly in your garment of security and you don't want to come out.
A few months ago a new woman joined my weekly ladies Bible study. Her name is Karin and as I introduced myself I felt the Holy Spirit say “be a good friend to her.”
Karin seemed like a nice enough woman but the truth is I could tell she was a bit older than me so we wouldn't have much in common and my plate was full right now. I had a pretty packed tomb and while I had no intentions of being a bad friend I didn't ask the Holy Spirit what He meant by being “a good friend” because knowing Him He would tell me. Bottom line Jesus was calling me out of my tomb. 

Over the next few weeks I couldn't help but grow closer to Karin. She had the sweetest spirit and was a genuinely kind person. We had a bond knit together by the Holy Spirit and I couldn't be happier to be her friend and knew she was my friend too.
One Wednesday she missed our Bible study and I ran into her at a store that afternoon. I told her we missed her and being the nosy person I am I asked where she was. Karin told me she was just coming back from Moffit Cancer Center. I had no idea she had cancer.
Over the next few weeks I would get together with Karin at her house as her condition seemed to worsen quickly.
I would visit her on weekends and my days off from work. We would pray together and I would read the Bible to her. Sometimes I would read one of my jewels, did I mention she was a Gena's Jewels fan :)  My stories seem to encourage her as we had a lot of the same family issues.
Hospice was eventually called in. It has been hard watching my dear friend deteriorate right before my eyes. In spite of her condition she always had a great attitude and NEVER complained! As I would read God's word I would look up to see her small fragile face with the most angelic smile on it.
 She absorbed God's word and He was so faithful to tell me exactly what passages He wanted read to His beautiful daughter. They were having a very personal experience
together and He used me to be His mouth piece. He took
me from my tomb to let Karin know the tomb could not contain Jesus and it wouldn't contain her either!

A few days before she died I was able to sit with Karin, actually I climbed into bed with her. I stroked her soft hair and sang songs quietly into her ear. I reminded her how much Jesus loved her and how He was waiting for his sweet bride to come home to the room He had prepared for her.
Her still small voice asked me if we could do communion one more time. As I held her fragile head in my hands and lifted the tiny cup to her awaiting lips to partake of our Lord's supper it brought her such comfort. She understood that Jesus shed blood was her promise of eternal life.
Gems it was one of the most humbling experiences of my life.
It was at that moment I heard the Holy Spirit thanking me for being a good friend to His sweet servant. 



I wept as I thought of my initial response to stay in my tomb and not be imposed on.
I was honored Karin and her family allowed me to be a small part of Karin's last trek on her journey home.


Gems I'm not telling you this story for any praise on my part but to remind you that we all get comfortable in our personal tomb and God is calling each one of us to come out.
We so often think ''someone else will do it” but God has called each of us for a certain purpose. Don't miss yours, don't stay in your comfort tomb when Jesus says out loud

your name here COME OUT!”

2 comments:

  1. God is sending this message to me in many ways.
    Thank you for being Gena! When I met you I immediately wanted to know you better. God speaks to me through your shared experiences. You are a blessing in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just glad He keeps speaking to all of us!! Thank you Cathy for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete