Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Idle Words


I was having dinner with friends the other night and found myself listening in on an interesting conversation. It started off about Facebook and the good and evil that comes with it. One of the dinner guest said he quit using Facebook because everything you say is stored on a mass server somewhere. Another guest agreed that was a concern for her, that everything you say is recorded for anyone to see.
This of course got me thinking…. Scary I know
We worry about who sees what we write or hears what we say because of how man will react to it. I have been in this place so I get it.

I do my best now to think about what I say imagining the person I’m talking about can over hear me. I try to think about what I write in case the person I’m writing about finds my note. I don’t always do a great job which ends up with me writing a confession jewel that you dear readers endure. Our words can either heal or hurt us.


My point here is that we seem to be more concerned with what people will think about what we say than what Jesus will think.






There is a quote I really like.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln




Proverbs 17:28 Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent; with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent.

Did you know that every word that comes out of your mouth is recorded in and by the greatest “server” of all and seen by the holiest one of all?

Matthew 12:36-37 (NKJV)
But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the Day of Judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

“idle” comes from the root Greek word ARGOS. Meaning "not busy, idle, inactive, doing nothing."
This means that when we talk or write to each other without words of grace to honor the Lord, we have wasted those words. 

"account" comes from the Greek word APODIOMI meaning to "give an answer."
Jesus is letting us know that we will have to explain even our casual comments to God. Yikes!

Matthew 12:36-37 (MSG)
34-37 “You have minds like a snake pit! How do you suppose what you say is worth anything when you are so foul-minded? It’s your heart, not the dictionary, that gives meaning to your
words. A good person produces good deeds and words season after season. An evil person is a blight on the orchard. Let me tell you something: Every one of these careless words is going to come back to haunt you. There will be a time of Reckoning. Words are powerful; take them seriously. Words can be your salvation. Words can also be your damnation.”

Christians will not be judged. There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.  Romans 8:1
However, A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.

True story:
Years ago when I first started texting on my phone I was also interviewing for a new job. My new employer sent me a text regarding training and when I finished my reply to him I added, I love you, and off it went to that great server in the sky. There was no taking it back.

Oh my gosh! I just told this complete married stranger that would be my boss in a few days that I loved him!!! I was mortified!


I have sent text to my children that made no sense at all. They wrote back asking if I had started drinking?
I know some of you know exactly what I’m talking about.

 There was a movie a while back, I didn't see it, but it had something to do with only being able to speak so many words. Can you imagine if you were only allotted so many words per day to speak? I know for women we would start counting the minute we woke up. I could just see us trying to borrow some of the non-used words from the men we know. What if there was a fine for using too many words?
The point is we would be way more careful with them. I think it’s safe to say there would be less idle words spoken. If we thought about giving account to God before we speak I’m pretty sure we would choose our words wisely.

But that’s exactly what theses verses are saying!
So I have decided to challenge myself. and now you if you’re reading this. For the next 24 hours I challenge you to apply Matthew 12:36-37 to your words and your writings. If you’re like me you will NEED the Holy Spirit to help. I’m pretty sure it’s a job He’s happy to do.

Let’s try not to speak or write idol words without thinking. Let's make our words count!



No comments:

Post a Comment