Thursday, December 4, 2014

She'll Be Comin Round That Mountain


The words from my Father were, “it's time to leave, your long awaited move to Tennessee is here.”
God had been preparing me for this journey for about 9 years. At times I thought it was a distant dream but here it was, go day. My response to my Father was “do you realize it's almost December in TN? Normal people don't move North in the winter!” His response to me“Who dares to call you normal?”

I was excited and terrified at the same time. I spent hours alone with the Lord and asked Him to speak to me as a loving husband to his nervous wife. I would need His words to be extremely clear as to where to go when I got to TN and He gave me Isaiah 30:21 
To say leaving Florida without my family was a difficult thing would be a huge understatement. Saying goodbye to my children and grandsons about ripped my heart out. The only thing I love more than my family is my sweet Jesus. Only through the power of the Holy Spirit was there strength to drive away. Knowing I am following the Lord's leading is where the peace comes from, needing Jesus more than safety is the challenge.

I can tell you Gems there truly is a peace that passes understanding.

Originally I was going to leave with just my clothes but after wise counsel and consideration it was decided I should bring all my stuff (thank you Dawn & Tony.) 
No turning back....
This meant renting a truck and needing a driver :) In comes my wonderful son Anthony. Of all my children Anthony truly makes me laugh the most so he was a much needed distraction to the emotions that would follow.
Anthony drove the U Haul and I drove my car behind him. Alone with Jesus and my array of thoughts and memories my journey began. At times I was singing praise songs thanking God for my new adventure and other times I was sobbing like a baby. Honestly I think I cried through most of Georgia.
At one gas station stop I would be all smiles telling Anthony how excited and happy I was, next stop I was crying and saying things like “what have I done!!! Am I crazy? What was I thinking???”Anthony never knew which Gena would be jumping out of the car but he always seemed ready for me.
God is gracious, He really does know who much we can handle. I think if I were driving alone there is a chance I would have chickened out and turned around. My son disagrees, he says I would have came to my senses and kept going. I quickly reminded him my senses are what gets me in trouble in the first place.
We started driving at 8 PM and by 4:30 AM I hit a wall. Anthony and I pulled into a gas station and I had a major melt down. He climbed into the passenger seat of my car to try and console me. My face was pushed into my hands and tears of doubt and fear were flowing down my cheeks. I confessed I just couldn't do it. I have no job, no place to live, no family and apparently no brain.
His logical response was “your just tired” he then handed me a pillow from the back of my car and said just sleep a while.” I DON'T WANT TO SLEEP IN MY CAR!!! I WANT A BED AND A ROOM AND A ROOF!!”
He just kept rubbing my leg and saying it's going to be OK to which I replied HOW???
Anthony isn't the best at consoling, that's my youngest daughter Jessica's job. I was with the risk taker, the task get er done guy. His sympathy consist of a moment of rubbing your leg, a quick hug and what exactly do I need to do to fix this now? He went on to tell me that in spite of my momentary collapse I was the strongest woman he knew so don't worry about it. HUH?
We ended up going to a hotel and spending a ridiculous amount of money for a few hours sleep but it was worth every penny. It had big beds with cushy white comforters and it was clean! It's truly amazing what a few hours of sleep can do for a person. I woke up all energetic asking Anthony if he wanted breakfast to which he responded, “good your back.” We finished our long drive and arrived safely in Tennessee.
When we passed the sign for Franklin I yelled out my window as loud as I could “I'm here Lord, which way? Left or right?”

I decided to call my friend Beverly's cousins that live in Franklin and ask if I could leave the U Haul in their yard so Anthony and I could drive around the town and see where the Lord might lead. They said yes, as we drove down the long driveway to their home my heart was beating in my chest like a drum solo. Oh My Gosh I'm actually here! 
We met Leigh who greeted us with a warm smile and drank warm apple cider before spying out the promise land.

With red weary eyes from hours of driving and the last bit of energy I decided to stop at a local insurance office and drop off a resume. I got to talking to the receptionist and before I knew it I was in the Office Manager's office having an interview. Thirty minutes in Franklin and I'm in an interview. Only God....
The next morning I put my stuff in storage then drove my oldest son to the airport. Another tearful goodbye and another realization that I'm here alone. As I drove away watching my son walk into the airport I was comforted with these words from my sweet Jesus.

Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.

A few people have called me brave, it is not because I'm brave it's because I trust that He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it. Even on my own in Tennessee.

To Be Continued.....

3 comments:

  1. Gina: You are such a blessing to me. I love, love, love the way you write and the way you share your heart. God has a perfect plan for you and you will find it because you are searching with obedience. YOU are a gem.
    xoxoxo,
    Cindy McFadden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gena,
    You are truly one of His best.
    Love you and already miss you.
    Tight hugs from Dawnee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gena my love, you know I just adore you, right?! I cried through your post because of your raw honesty which I truly appreciate and am in awe of. I cried too for missing you. And I cried for joy because I KNOW you're about to be blessed beyond measure and testify to us all. I totally understand following God's call no matter what even when you have to say goodbye to those you love. He has found you so faithful and has given you much favor my friend. I love you and am honored to have you as my friend and sister-in-Christ and greatly anticipate the stories about to be revealed through you and your journey with the Lover of your soul. He's got this! Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete