Thursday, May 14, 2015

Nana Facetime

It was a beautiful Sunday morning, the sky was blue the birds were singing, the temperature perfect for walking. Looking from the inside out it looked like an appealing happy day. Looking from the outside in it was a bit sad. I was feeling lonely, no one to talk to or hang out with. I had spent the past few days alone and the thought of another 8 hour day in solitary was not something I was looking forward to. I wanted to go to the park and walk but I just wasn't in the mood to do it alone.
Then as the words went from my mouth to God's ears “send me a friend” my phone rang. It was my ten year old grandson Lucas.

My heart leaped as I heard his voice but I could tell right away he was also having a bad day. Come to find out he was in trouble and had to spend the day on his bed. I should have been tipped off by the call alone that something was wrong as my grandsons don't normally call on a weekend morning. They are getting to the age where spending time with Nana isn't as cool as it used to be :(
We shared our sorrows together and of course I sided with him completely on the injustice of society and family that would pen up his sweet spirit to a day in his room AND on his bed.
OBVIOUSLY he was falsely accused.....

He needed me :) What could I do. How could I spring him from his cell. If only I were there to break him free!
After we talked a bit it hit me, we could both be set free from our current dungeon with a little thing called


I told Lucas I would call him back in 15 minutes. I got in my car and drove to the park. I then facetimed him. I told him we both needed a friend and to be outside. 

He had the biggest smile and laughed as I turned the camera to the view.



We began our journey, me pointing out an exercise area, a wall you could climb and an obstacle course. He sited a soccer field and boys kicking a ball. I found a path and we explored it together finding a creek.
He laughed as I pushed my way past the bushes and made girlie sounds.
He saw some colored paint up ahead and said “Nana what's that?” It was a hopscotch board painted on the concrete. He said “jump on it Nana.” I did and again I could hear him laughing as he informed me the whole view was jumping up and down.
I caught my breath and we continued on. We looked in every direction so we wouldn't miss a thing.
We had the best time walking and talking. He told me he was moving his arms as we walked like he was walking fast. Our imaginations soared as we went on this secret adventure together.
When we finished walking I got my blanket from the car and I laid under a tree.

I suggested Lucas get a book and read to me. He held the book into the camera so I could see what it was. The title was Blessings in Obedience. I laughed and asked if his dad was making him read that. He said no that he picked it. It was such a special time for us. He would read a paragraph then we would talk about what he read so he understood the message.
I then had him re-tell my why he got in trouble and we discussed where he could have made better decisions. I told him it's a parents job to discipline their children. I reminded him what a great dad he has and how honesty is always the best policy.
Then his dad walked in the room... ooops we were
He asked Lucas who he was talking to and he said happily "Nana." Sure throw me under the bus, what a snitch. Must have been that last honesty comment I made.
Well dad said hang up, I asked to talk to him but he let me know he would talk to me later in that "dad tone" that let you know you were in trouble.
Lucas and I gave a final mischievous smile, wonder where he gets that from, and hung up.

Gems it was an amazing day. I'm actually glad Lucas was in trouble, we had each others complete attention, we hung onto every word the other one said, it's been a while since that happened.

I want to encourage other grand parents, aunts, uncles etc. to use technology to your advantage to spend time with loved ones your missing. Probably not while they are on restriction, hee hee.

My sister and I text during our favorite TV show so we feel like we're watching it together. I facetime with my mother even though she has no idea who I am. Poor thing she can't figure out how my sister is talking without moving her lips. I think we are freaking her out but it's so good to sing to my mom and tell her I love her.
I play with Ezra over the phone as he plays with his blocks or does what he likes best, throwing his toys. I cheer him on that he's the smartest boy in the whole world.
I watch Anthony as he kicks his soccer ball or talks about what he's doing in school.
I have my daughter in-law put the phone to her pregnant belly so I can pray over the new baby getting ready to make his entrance.


It got me thinking about our relationship with Jesus. Often we are so busy with the world and the demands of life that not only do we miss out on the beauty of God's creation we miss out on conversations with our best friend, Jesus Christ.

We miss out on moments to share with Him our current struggles and allow the Holy Spirit to give us some good advice. We miss out on time reading the Bible and meditating on what it's saying to us personally.

I realized that me and Jesus are always on facetime. He is with me everywhere I go, listening to all my stuff, cheering me on and praying over me.
When I can't be with my family in person I'm so glad I can facetime them and at least see their beautiful faces and hear their voices until I see them again. One day we will see Jesus again Face to Face

Revelation 1:17-18 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever!
Until then I will use technology for Nana and Jesus time.

1 comment: