Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Maybe I'm Amazed



In the 70’s (1970’s)  a song came out by Paul McCartney called Maybe I’m Amazed. These are some the lyrics.

“Maybe I'm amazed at the way you're with me all the time
Maybe I'm afraid of the way I leave you
Maybe I'm amazed at the way you help me sing my song
Right me when I'm wrong
Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you”

We say that phrase all the time, that’s amazing, you’re amazing; it was amazing we can be talking about anything from a chocolate cake to a view of the Grand Canyon.
We also use it in a negative way when we are aggravated with someone. Well aren’t you amazing…..

So where am I going with this? Glad you asked.

Have you ever thought about Jesus being amazed? I mean JESUS the son of God. The disease healing, wine making, prophesying, life resurrecting man of God?
What could possibly amaze Jesus?
Hey Lord wanna see a cool card trick?
Pretty sure He has seen all our tricks and as for creation, well He created it.

Going back to the lyrics of the song, I find myself drawn to 2 lines.
Maybe I’m afraid of the way I leave you
Maybe I’m amazed at the way I really need you

Let’s go back to the original question, can Jesus be amazed? Well the Bible talks about two times He apparently was.

Luke 7:2-3, 6-10
There a centurion’s servant, whom his master valued highly, was sick and about to die.
The centurion heard of Jesus and sent some elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and heal his servant.
So Jesus went with them.
He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: “Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel.”

First thing that hits me is this centurion wasn’t even a Jew, one of God’s own people, it was a Gentile. Jesus was already setting the stage for His ultimate goal of bringing Jew and Gentile together as one body, one church, one family.
It’s funny because sometimes it’s friends not family that have the most faith in us as we do our journey but that’s another jewel.
How did the Centurion leave Jesus?  In His own words, amazed. Jesus was amazed by his faith.

The second time we see Jesus amazed is
Mark 6:5-6
And because of their unbelief, he couldn’t do any mighty miracles among them except to place His hands on a few sick people and heal them. And He was amazed at their unbelief.

Well this is a bit harder to read. Jesus was amazed at the unbelief.
Here Jesus was in His hometown a place I’m sure He wanted to bless and heal as many as He could but here He was given no honor, He found no faith.

OK Gems so here’s the big question, when you spend time with Jesus how do you leave Him?

I once again have an almost address in Tennessee.
I say almost because I’m staying with friends for the next few weeks as I wait for the Lord to show me where exactly He wants me to live.

If you’re a regular Gena’s Jewels reader you know the last 8 months the Lord has kept EVERY door closed in Florida as far as finding a job. He pretty much removed me from everything I was involved with including bible studies and friendships, He was cutting ties and although it was painful I knew it was needed to give me the courage to leave Florida. It’s hard enough leaving my children and grandsons.

My dear friends Cynthia and Jon had asked me to come 3 times before and this time the Lord said pack your bags and go. I wasn’t sure how long the stay would be so I flew here to Franklin for a mere $39.00. I had 2 large suitcases that I desperately tried to fit my grandsons in.

I left with faith because the Lord has constantly shown me His faithfulness in taking care of me so I guess when I got on the plane I left Jesus feeling good about my faith, dare I say amazed.

On my 3rd day here I heard an advertisement on the radio about a company hiring part time help and felt the Holy Spirit say “send them your resume.”
I reminded Him that I sent hundreds of resumes for 8 months in Florida but OK I’ll send it. 
I decided to use this as my fleece. If I didn’t get the job I would stay for the summer then return to Florida and if I did get the job then the Lord wanted me to stay longer. I’m never sure how long long is but the Holy Spirit gives information on a need to know basis.


After a very thorough hiring process I was offered a job with the Christian Broadcasting Network on their prayer line which I’m totally excited to start in a few days.
 
Now I wish I could end my story here but a few days ago I was the 2nd story. I was amazing for lack of faith.

The questions of unbelief began. I was trying to figure out how to get my car here to TN. Where am I going to live? I still have to find a 2nd part time job to afford an apartment. How long is it going to take to save enough money to move? How will I get the little bit of stuff I have left in Florida here?
It’s funny getting the job didn’t make me feel like I had moved but the thought of my car arriving made the move real. How long is long? Do I register my car here?????

The Lord has been supernaturally taking care of me for 16 months paying all my bills and keeping me in a loving home, carrying me with such love and care emotionally and physically and here I am questioning everything with no honor to who He is.

This time I left Him feeling amazed at my unbelief….

Gems I never thought about Jesus being amazed in me one way or the other but I gotta tell you I want Him amazed at my faith not my unbelief.

What is the Lord asking you to do? What area is He asking you to amaze Him with your faith? What relationship is He asking you to consider or walk away from? What lane is He asking you to stay in? A job, a move, a commitment, what is He asking you to believe Him for?

The other line in that song is “maybe I’m amazed at the way I really need you”
Jesus never fails! The Holy Spirit is a constant source of strength and wisdom. God is the same yesterday today and tomorrow He is the best description of stability I could ever experience.

It is amazing that I can not only need but count on Him always!
My prayer for myself is that when He looks at me He will encounter more times of being amazed at my faith than my unbelief.

A question was asked of me last night that I will close with asking you.

Is God trying to resurrect something in your life that you have put to death?
Is He amazed at your faith or unbelief?

“Maybe I'm amazed at the way you're with me all the time
Maybe I'm afraid of the way I leave you
Maybe I'm amazed at the way you help me sing my song
Right me when I'm wrong
Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you”

Allow the Lord to help you sing your song

12 comments:

  1. Gena: I too have been inspired to sing this song to Jesus. The "You" was always Jesus and I too have that desire to amaze God with my Faith and not my unbelief... Trust and Obey for there is No Other Way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gina for your jewels! This one really touched my heart today. The Lord's been calling me To write a book and public speaking but I don't know where to start. I pray and ask God what is that look like? How do I do that? How do I stop selling real estate? Were where do I find the time?or even make the time? Would love to talk to you about your journey and maybe God can use you to help start me in my way. I was brought to tears reading about your new job what a wonderful door he has opened. I think I have faith and know if called me he will make away but when I hear my own words it sounds more like the unbelief in the second story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy to talk and pray with you :)

      Delete
  3. Bam! One of the best posts I've ever read! Cut right to the bone. And of course you confirmed something I needed to pray about...that I already knew, but was struggling with following through.
    I love you my friend!
    Xoxo,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gena,
    Such a timely word ! I couldn’t get over your wording! For a few months God as been speaking to me about us becoming AMAZED, INFATUATED by Him instead of ourselves & our “works “. Hearing your story encourages me so! I’ve been battling discouragement in my own intense season It’s so easy to take on the mind set Elijah had when he was hiding in cave from Jezebel, when we’re in the “ dark night of the soul “ in our life! Thank you Sweetie for Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for taking the time to comment it encourages me to keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. PLEASE keep writing! I love reading your jewels and am always encouraged by them. So blessed to see your obedience and trust in the Lord as your Provider! And even more blessed when you share just HOW He provided. You spur me on sister, to be a stronger woman of faith. Keep those jewels coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO amazing mom! You are such a talented writer and wise woman.Thank you for sharing your life with everyone.

    ReplyDelete