Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Unwrinkled Linen

Unwrinkled Linen is almost an oxy moron. God talks about linen in the Bible. Jesus was wrapped in linen when he died, when angels visited the earth they were wearing linen and in Revelation the warrior angels are also wearing linen. Did you know research shows that linen keeps you about 10 degrees cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter? Only God could create a fabric that knows when to heat and when to cool.
Linen is a beautiful material and looks rich when you’re wearing it; the problem is as soon as you move it wrinkles. It’s almost futile ironing it because as soon as you sit down it wrinkles. If you even fold it nicely it will wrinkle.
I have found that people are a lot like linen. We are beautiful and rich individuals who look great until life moves us. I was visiting my parents for a few days trying to help them in some personal matters. Anyone who has had to help with aging parents can understand the frustration involved. My dad is deaf so you have to YELL at him so he can barely hear you. It is not natural to scream at a parent so that right there is uncomfortable. He is also a bit paranoid so he accuses me of trying to steal from him. My mother has beginning stages of alzheimers so it is not uncommon for us to have the same conversation 5 or 6 times during the day. She too has some paranoia and if I am talking to someone else she accuses me of talking about her and trying to make people think she’s crazy. The very people I am trying to help are doing everything they can not to help. I can’t get mad (I have to keep telling myself that) because they really are not doing it on purpose.
To make matters worse I have to deal with the Veterans Administration for doctors along with mortgage companies that don’t actually answer a phone or call back. I have been trying to get my dad teeth for over 9 months. His last trip to the VA Hospital they lost them. They say it’s my word against there’s so up until now have refused to replace them. So here is my 86 year old father losing weight rapidly because he cannot eat properly and we can’t afford new teeth! My mother’s doctor has informed us that she does not want to care for her any longer because in her opinion my mother needs to be in an assisted living facility. This of course also cost money. My dad will not leave the home and my mom won’t leave my dad. I will spare you the rest but the bottom line is this is some pretty wrinkled linen I’m working with.
I was at Wal-Mart trying to get my mother’s glasses that she had been waiting for over a week. When we finally get them they were not made right and she still could not see. The lady working with us was getting agitated as if we had done something wrong. She explains the situation to her manager that says in an aggravated huff “just fix it at no cost”. I was grateful but annoyed at the same time. Why were they acting like they were doing us a favor when they were the ones who screwed up. At this point I was over people who were over old people.
In comes my sweet Jesus. The Holy Spirit told me to go over to the manager who was now talking to another co-worker and I could tell by her body language and face she was complaining. The Spirit told me to thank her for being willing to help us and for her dedication to a job that is difficult because she is working with the public. That I understood her frustration with people not taking pride in their jobs and the people that are just plain hard to work with. I walked up to the women who stopped talking when I stood in front of them. The lady helping my mother also stopped what she was doing and watched me. I excused myself for interrupting her conversation and did what the Spirit told me. I confessed to her that I too was frustrated and could not tell her how much I appreciated her helping us. That she was the first person in three days that we actually got to speak to and agreed to help us. She looked up at me and almost started to cry. She confessed that she was just complaining to her co-worker and she was sorry for that. She told me how much she needed a word of encouragement and how much it helped her. I thanked both the other ladies too and their whole demeanor changed. Their linen had been ironed out by the Holy Spirit and they looked beautiful.
Some people are just jerks and some people are just overwhelmed. I was overwhelmed and so were they. That’s when the Holy Spirit stared showing me the analogy of linen and people. If we do nothing but stay still when we are in linen (the beautiful body God created for us) we won’t get wrinkled. But life is not about not getting involved or helping each other out. We were designed to get wrinkled but if we don’t take time with Jesus and let the Holy Spirit continually wash us we end up not being wearable. Unfortunately we have become a people who have tired of helping each other out especially when the one needing the help is deaf or confused. It was a good reminder to me to just take a deep breath, listen to the Spirit and move forward in love. God did other great things while I was at my parents, things I could not have done with out Him. I’m thankful that He is always in control and that His linen never wrinkles.

Gena’s Jewels

1 comment:

  1. Gena,
    Thanks for sharing. What a frustrating situation. It must have been difficult to obey the Holy Spirit, but what a difference it made. I know I need to be listening for His voice and guidance. Sending up prayers for you and yours.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete