Saturday, September 19, 2009

How Big Is Your But?

When you start to dream about what you want in your life how big do you go? A few years ago my oldest son walked in my house and I knew by his body language he was not happy. I was standing in the kitchen and he slammed his hands down on the counter in front of me and said, and I quote “I am really pissed off at you mom!” I was caught off guard that I was the object of his anger. I didn’t remember us having any kind of argument recently so I had no idea what he was talking about. I replied “why?” He told me that I didn’t dream big enough. He felt I could be so much further in my life had I dreamed bigger. I was speechless for a moment, hard to believe I know but true. As a mom I have always encouraged my kids to dream big and not limit God but I realized I didn’t always follow my own advice. I can give you all the reasons/excuses why like, I could have gone farther but I married young, I should have had better jobs but I didn’t go to college. I had all my “buts” ready to throw at him but the truth is I just plain didn’t dream big. I let my “BUT” get bigger than my God.
If it comforts you any there were people in the bible with big buts too. Abraham and Sara wanted a baby but they were too old. God made Abraham the father of many nations. Moses wanted to be a leader but he stuttered. God sent Aaron to work along side him and they led the whole Israel nation out of Egypt. Joseph wanted to be a great ruler but he was in prison for over ten years for a crime he didn’t commit and God made him the second most powerful man in the Kingdom. The Jews were praying for a Messiah but they got a baby in a manger. We all know how that story ended :)
If it weren’t for that conversation with my son chances are I would have continued to limit God and my dreams. Once I changed my thinking to “I” can’t do this but God can, not only did I open myself up to more things in my life it opened God up to use me more.
I know my children are going to accomplish way more in this life than I did at a much younger age and I think it’s supposed to be that way. I try to download all the things the Lord has taught me so they can be where I am at half the age. I think it’s important for you to journal your experiences or at least share them with your family. Don’t assume they know what God is doing with you just because you happen to live in the same house. Our loved ones need to be constantly reminded about how big our God is.
How big is your but and is it bigger than God? What are you believing God for? What secret dreams do you have in your heart? You may think it’s impossible for you and you may be right but Jesus said “with man this is impossible but with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26 Don’t let your but get in the way, dream big!

Gena’s Jewels

1 comment:

  1. Gena, this goes right along with the message I heard from Priscilla Shirer at the Deeper Still conference today. Ephesians 3:20. Amazing how God will hit me with the same message in different ways from different people.

    ReplyDelete