Sunday, September 27, 2009

What Instrument Do You Play?

I was watching an amazing praise DVD from Australia the other night. The music was so powerful that the worship team seem to take you to a place where you could become more in tune with your Spirit being than your physical one.
 My attention eventually went to the drummer, as I love the sound of the drums. He was so into the worship that when the song ended he literally fell forward and laid his head on the drum. He had given all he had; you could tell he played from his very soul.
I was so filled with the Spirit as I watched this huge crowd praising the Lord with their voices as their hands were reaching toward the sky as if they expected the very hand of God to reach down and touch them. I had goose bumps.  I knew how it made me feel just watching it on a DVD I could only imagine how it must have felt being there live.
I got to thinking about how much it must have pleased God to have so many children praising Him, how He must have looked forward to that night knowing He would be seeing His kids in worship.
Did He get goose bumps too? Was He focusing in on them one person at a time taking in each expression and emotion? Was He being touched as much by their praise as they were by His presence?

Have you ever really looked forward to seeing someone you had special feelings for? You know the whole nervous butterfly in the stomach feeling. I remember in High School my first love, his name was Jimmy, and I would run to my English class early because I knew he had to walk by my class to get to his. I would stand outside the door when the bell rang searching for him down the crowded hall of people and as soon as I saw him I would look away pretending I didn’t see him. Great plan hu? Could explain why I’m still single.
There was a method to my madness. I knew if he thought I didn’t see him he would touch my arm or better yet my face as he went by and say hello. Just that little touch sent my heart fluttering. It was the only reason I went to English.
I wondered if God felt like that when He knew we were getting ready to worship Him. Does he search for us anticipating the moment?
My mind went to that drummer and I envied him, that he could put his whole soul into playing for the King. I thought to myself, I wish I sang or played an instrument so I could praise God like that.

As always the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said,” you do play an instrument it’s just not a musical one.” He reminded me that I write and Gena’s Jewels is my instrument to give praise to the Lord. I never thought about it that way. I started thinking about other people and the instruments they play like making drapes or jewelry. Selling homes or feeding the homeless. Speaking encouraging words or teaching small children. Anything that we do for God is our instrument, it’s just a matter of do we “play” it to honor Him. Do we give Him the praise for the talent we were given.

Psalm 150:6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. It doesn’t specify how you praise just that you do it.

I was in Wal-Mart today with my friend Cathy, the woman in front of us didn’t speak English, the cashier didn’t speak Spanish, and there was some confusion with the customer’s gift card. The problem was they could not communicate and you could feel the frustration level rising. Out of nowhere my friend translated for them as she speaks both languages. I heard the Lord say, “She’s playing her instrument.”

Are you playing yours?

 
What instrument do you play
Do you honor God with it everyday
Do you look for places you two will meet
Do you give him thanks, do you keep his beat
Does your heart sing out
Do you make it a goal
To share with another
The song in your soul
Allow God to shine through all that you do
Search for the Lord He’s crazy bout you
So strike up the band
Let’s start the show
Tune up your instrument
And let your music flow!


3 comments:

  1. Love the poem and the message, Gena! I had to print out the poem so I can post it. Sometimes I feel bad because I am not serving IN the church. But this confirms what God has told me. Right now I need to be serving with my family, new daughter-in-law, grandchildren, and my first graders. Thanks for playing your instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, since you ARE the church, when you serve, you serve in the church. Love the blog, Gena!

    ReplyDelete