Thursday, June 10, 2010

If You Ask He Will Tell You

My friend Courtney invited me to a summer Bible study and I thought it would be a good idea for me and my daughter to do together. There were a few different studies available and I figured we would pick one when we got there.
The morning of the study I woke up and the Lord gave me the word Aquarius. Being the spiritual person I am I broke into song “ uh-kwair-ee-uhs, uh-kwair-ee-uhs ” I knew right away God was not talking about me singing.
I decided to look up the word and the first meaning was about a zodiac sign and again I knew that wasn't what He wanted me to see so I went to the next definition.
In this one it talked about it being a zodiacal constellation but the part that hit me was it said it looked like a man pouring water out of a bucket and I knew right away that was it.
The Lord wanted me to know He would be pouring out the Holy Spirit on the Bible study. I was so excited I couldn't wait to get there and see what God was going to do for me and the other ladies of the group.
When Jess and I got there we listened to each leader share what their study title was and what it was going to be about. The first two shared and although they were good studies I knew they weren't the ones we were supposed to be in.
Then it happened, the third woman got up and started talking about Forgotten God a study by Frances Chan on the Holy Spirit.
I knew instantly this was the one, you know Aquarius.
Quite honestly I had been feeling like I was in a dry spell in my spiritual walk so I figured God would use this to help me get through it.
Let me stop here and show you a couple of verses on the Holy Spirit.
One of His jobs (yes He is his own person) is to give us the power to live the way God tells us to. He also convicts us (your conscience) when we are going off track.
John 16:8
When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment:
1 Thessalonians 1:5
because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction.

The following day I asked the Lord to fill me with more of the Holy Spirit and I asked the Holy Spirit to fill me more with His conviction. They both answered......
WARNING! Gems I have told you before if you ask God to show you something He will, so be prepared.
I wrote a status on my facebook; when you ask the Holy Spirit to reveal things to you about you, you might as well just start on your knees...that is where you will end up.
It started immediately, if you had me on a pedestal in anyway my confession will set things right.
First confession. I had made a flippant comment to my son during a phone conversation. Like I said I was in this dry spell and I was getting kind of negative.
I told my son I was being negative and probably shouldn't be talking at all. I should have taken my own advice hence the next facebook status, “One of the worst taste in your mouth is when you have to eat your own words.”
I had made a flippant comment regarding someone else and it got back to her and she called me on it. She wrote me a message on facebook about what she heard I said.
It gets worse. The first thing I did was call my son and blast him for telling anyone what I said. Can you believe this! I'm blaming him for my sin!
I know I can't believe it either, who is this person???
I had to apologize to my son first for running my negative mouth and second for blaming him. Did I mention I hung up the phone on him???
Now the hard part, I had to write back the person I wronged who by the way I totally respected for coming right to me with the situation.
I explained to her that I was obviously a butt head and gave my opinion where it was not needed or asked for. I was truly sorry because my flippant remark hurt another person, not just any person but one of God's children.
Worse than that I had grieved the Holy Spirit.
I wish I could tell you that was the only thing the Holy Spirit revealed to me but it wasn't.
He showed me a few days earlier I had made a flippant comment to a friend about someone else in joke form. They didn't know it but He did and again this grieved the Holy Spirit.
Because it's not in the best interest of this person I won't apologize to them personally. It would only hurt them and cause them harm they don't deserve however I did have to confess my sin to the friend I said it to and shared with her what the Holy Spirit said.
He reminded me if your joking about something that would hurt a persons feelings, especially if it's about something they are seriously struggling with it is obviously not funny.
He asked me how I would have felt if someone joked about something that hurt me to the soul. Need I say more?
These were a couple of things I had not dealt with. What I mean is when I knowingly mess up I immediately ask God to forgive me, accept the forgiveness and move on, but there are times we sin and don't realize it right away.
That sin still needs to be dealt with. If you ask the Holy Spirit to show you if there's anything you need to deal with.... He will.
I really felt awful and got on my knees and asked God to forgive me and thanked the Holy Spirit for loving me enough to show me things that were clogging up my flow with Him, hence my feeling of a dry spell.
It's not God or the Holy Spirits intent to make us feel bad it's just the opposite. They want us to get rid of anything that will keep us from feeling great.
I encourage you to do a Spirit check every once in a while and even if you don't have to make things right with one of your friends or family you may have to make things right with God and that's always a good thing.
We are all living our lives one day at a time and we need to help each other in this journey as much as possible. Our strength to do this successfully can only come from the Holy Spirit.
So there you have it Gems, if you ask He will tell you. Ask the Holy Spirit if there is any sin you need to deal with so you don't end up in a dry spell.
And just for fun sing out “ uh-kwair-ee-uhs, uh-kwair-ee-uhs”

1 comment:

  1. God Bless Gena,
    It's all Joyful noise, isn't it?
    It's interesting to me this topic you chose to write about. God has been on my heart lately as to words that I speak. As I was praying this morning he spoke to me saying, "Have you been glorifying me in all your words?"
    The answer is no... but I intend too! Now!
    Wonderful Blog, you are a truly blessed person,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete