Thursday, June 3, 2010

PAJ

This is the title Amanda, my oldest daughter, has given herself. It stands for Pride and Joy. I don't remember exactly when it happened or what prompted it but it definitely happened.
I think it was when she was a young teen, she will be 29 in October. She just decided one day that out of the four children she was my pride and joy.
She not only proclaimed it to me and her brothers and sisters but she added the disclaimer, the title is not transferable.
Anytime she did something nice for me she would look at her siblings and say “that's why I'm PAJ.”
The same theory worked the opposite way. If she did something I didn't like and I brought it to her attention she again would look at her siblings and say “it's OK I'm still PAJ.”
The funny thing is the other kids would complain to me that they wanted to be PAJ and would get upset when Amanda would flat out say “NO.”
Any time they did something really nice for me and I told them how much I appreciated it they would say “so am I PAJ now?”
I would remind them that I did not give Amanda this title, she did.
It is truly the funniest thing.
Recently my youngest son did something really nice for me and said “I'm PAJ now right?” This kid is 18 years old!
My oldest son still makes sarcastic comments when he's annoyed with his sister and will end with “I guess it's OK cause she's PAJ.”
If Amanda hears this she will just stand there nodding in agreement grinning from ear to ear. This only fuels the fire.
Of course they are all my pride and joy don't they know that?
I read a story about this woman who had a bunch of kids and the interviewer asked her if she loved one child more than the rest and she said yes. When asked which one she said the one who needs the most love at the time.
What a great answer and how true it is.
There was a disciple in the Bible named John that got the PAJ thing only he referred to himself as “the disciple whom Jesus loved.” Same theory different title.

John 13:23
One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him

John 19:26
When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son,"

John 20:2
So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, "They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don't know where they have put him!"

John 21:7
Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, "It is the Lord," he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water.

John 21:20
Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them.


No where does it say Jesus named John this so we must assume John named himself. I love this guy!
It must have driven the other disciples crazy that he always said that.
He doesn't even use his name, just the disciple whom Jesus loved. Can't you just hear them around the fire “Oh there's John the disciple Jesus loves bla bla bla.”
If John messed up I can just see them running to Jesus to let him know and offer to take over the title.
I can just hear John like Amanda saying “it's OK I'm still the one Jesus loves.”
Of course Jesus loved all His disciples as He loves all of us but there were probably times He loved one more, just like that mom said.
I have a habit of telling people I'm Jesus favorite and I truly believe that.
Friends of mine have bought me things like book marks or coffee mugs that say “I'm God's favorite”
The great thing is even if I mess up and people run to God to tell on me it won't change the fact that I'm still His favorite.
My goal in life is to get everyone to feel the same way.
If we understood how much God loves us it would take so much pressure off of us and we could start living with the freedom God intended.

Matthew 11:30
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Message Bible:28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."


Don't get me wrong, it's like Paul said in the Bible this does not give us license to sin, that would be a slap in the face to the Lord.
What it does give you is peace to know when you mess up God still loves you and He will help you get back on track with the help of the Holy Spirit.
There are times when you need to feel God's love more than others and those are the times I think He loves you the most.(I am still God's favorite)
So I'm giving you permission today to give yourself a new title. Be creative and announce it to your world. Get crazy and post it on Face book! Make bumper stickers or stationary!
It can be anything you want however please note, The disciple whom Jesus loved and PAJ are taken.

5 comments:

  1. Re: ...we must assume John named himself. I love this guy! It must have driven the other disciples crazy... Can't you just hear them around the fire “Oh there's John the disciple Jesus loves bla bla bla.”

    As the saying goes, one has to take off their own shoes before they can take a walk in someone else’s moccasins, and similarly, when it comes to cases of The Bible vs. Tradition, one has to be willing to let go of the traditions of men in order to see the truth that is hidden in plain sight in the text of scripture.

    BelovedDiscipleBibleStudy.com has a free eBook that compares scripture with scripture in order to highlight the facts in the plain text of scripture that are usually overlooked about the “other disciple, whom Jesus loved”. You may want to weigh the testimony of scripture that the study cites regarding the one whom “Jesus loved” and may find it to be helpful as it encourages bible students to take seriously the admonition “prove all things”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daddy called me his pride and joy. My brother was his only son and my sister was Little Bit. He died when I was 21. I still miss him so. But tonight, in your blog, and in another I read, I am reminded how very much my heavenly father loves me. I am thinking on my title.....
    Thanks so much for your jewels, Gena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Gena,
    Titles are a funny thing sometimes, people often battle for them in a power hungry way. God has a title already for us, at least those who have accepted the Lord and believe.
    Sons and Daughters
    I love the term PAJ though!
    I think if I needed a title it would be
    "Odd for God (OG???)"
    Only because most of my old secular friends think that my devotion to him is weird.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete