Monday, December 10, 2012

Bible vs Sex In The City


I turned on my TV today, I don't have cable so there's not a lot to choose from but my intent was to watch my daily Bible teaching. As I scanned the channels Sex in The City was on and I stayed there a few minutes. 
It's one of those shows that at times actually have a good story line, you just have to get past all the premarital sex and list of other things that offend God. 
Never the less I parked there for a minute then realized the irony of the situation chuckled and changed the channel.

I remember when I used to watch this show. My justification (I am queen of justification) was like I said earlier, this show can have some really good story lines. I bought into this lie until I realized if one of my kids came into the room I immediately changed the channel. 
Hmmmmm

I could no longer in clear conscience watch the show but here it was today years later appealing to my sinful nature.

Earlier in the day I was out walking. I was listening to praise music, thank God there was no chiwawa in this story, but a lesson none the less.
I was thinking the only time I'm close to having a clean heart is when I'm worshiping because it's then I have my thoughts more on Jesus than me. 
 
Gems I'm just being real here I make a lot of life about me. I don't mean to, I didn't start thinking about myself as I was walking but when I started thinking about worship I thought about how I looked to God instead of thinking how God should look to me.

Of course the Holy Spirit didn't leave me there too long. I went from thinking how humble I must look before God to noticing a Christmas decoration of a Nut Cracker in someones yard.

 
This image sent my thoughts to a little wooden man incense burner my aunt gave me and my ex-husband years ago from Austria that he kept.


From here I went to “I can't believe he didn't give me that back after our divorce. I gave him all his family stuff back.” Mind you this divorce took place 17 years ago.

My final thought your really going to love. 
Would it be wrong to go to his house and just take it back without him knowing? It's not like he'll miss it.”

I know none of you have ever had these kind of thoughts. 

You're probably rethinking ever having me over for a visit or at least thinking you should hide your family heirlooms.

The Holy Spirit asked me at this moment was I still in worship mode?
Honestly Gems I don't know how that happens. Obviously that junk is still in me.
Luke 6:45 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.

This is exactly why when I'm given the choice of Sex In The City or something like it, OR a show I can watch in front of a five year old, or dare I say Jesus Himself, I go with the latter.





Not because I'm holier than thou but because I might be eviler than thou. 
The good news is every time some of that junk comes out it makes my heart a little cleaner.


How do I keep from putting more junk in? Good question! 

We do that by changing the channel. Not going to the gross movies, listening to better music and for the best cure of all, meditating on Gods word.

Isaiah 23:3 You will keep him in perfect peace,Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.

Psalms 119:15 I will meditate on Your precepts,
And contemplate Your ways.

So there you go Gems, confession #526,987,542. Feel free to join me on my journey from Sex In The City to Bible verses In The City. 



No comments:

Post a Comment