Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Wandering in the Wilderness

 
The wilderness, ever been there? You feel like you’re wandering around aimlessly. Like every door you knock on is the wrong one and every street you drive down becomes a dead end.
Your world around you can seem like it's unraveling and your not quite sure how to get it back on track.
 
Most of us are familiar with this verse in Romans,
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.
 
We like to recite that verse and claim it in public to others but I think we forget sometimes that you actually have to be in a not so good situation in order for God to work it out. You can’t just claim that God will work it out if you’re not living in it. What I mean is you have to actually be going through the thing you need to have worked out. And that Gems can be an unnerving experience, a true test of faith.
 
Believe it or not the wilderness times can actually be the most holy times we experience with God. It’s in the all things or wilderness times we are in a place to actually hear God the most.
 
God brought Moses into the wilderness to speak to him through a burning bush. (Exodus 3)
It was also in the wilderness God gave the Holy 10 commandments and the law to Moses. (Leviticus)
It was in the wilderness that Elijah heard God’s still small voice. (1Kings 19)
John the Baptist was also in the wilderness when he heard a holy word from God.
Luke 3:2 Annas and Caiaphas were the high priests. At this time a message from God came to John son of Zechariah, who was living in the wilderness.
 
John had another extremely holy experience in the wilderness, on the island of Patmos, where he was a prisoner.
Revelation 1:9 John, your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.
10 On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, 11 which said: “Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea
 
So I think it’s safe to say that God does indeed lead us into a holy wilderness where He not only speaks to us but we hear Him loud and clear. Rather than kicking and fighting your wilderness experience take a deep breath and embrace it. Consider that you may very well be on holy ground.  Press in and ask the Lord if there's something He's trying to tell or teach you.
 
I would love to tell you that I have always done this but that would be a lie. It’s something I’m still working at.  Now when I’m in what feels like a desert I’m reminding myself of the goodness of God. We have to believe that God is good and wants what’s best for us in order to stand on the verse in Romans, that He will work all things out for our good. You need to first believe He wants what’s best for you.
 
A few months ago I saw a quote I knew the Lord was using to speak to me, it said:
“Not all those who wander are lost”
 
About 2 weeks later my sister sent me a card and guess what she wrote in it??? “Not all those who wander are lost”
 
I am once again at a crossroads in my life. The Lord let me know it’s time to resign from my current job, which I did. I will be leaving soon and He has not mentioned where I will be going next. I only know that the end of April or May I will be done with my current job assignment.
Did I mention the middle of May my lease is up on my apartment, my youngest daughter is getting married the end of May, my son and his wife are having their 3rd child and P.S. I’m not sure if I’m moving.
 
Earlier in my walk I would have been freaking out! But I truly have that peace that passes understanding right now from years of being in and out of the holy wilderness with my Lord. I have truly learned that He does work out all thing for my good!
 
So Gems the next time you’re in a wilderness time instead of focusing on all the stressful circumstances and feeling like you’re wandering around lost, embrace it with an attitude of holiness. Listen carefully there may well be a still small voice trying to tell you something.
 
“Not everyone who wanders is lost”
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. My friend, once again you nailed it! It's so much easier explaining to someone in the wilderness that this is where the growth is and it's a great thing. But when you're walking in it and for what seems too long, it's not as easy remembering these truths for yourself. Thanks for the reminders and encouragement! Love, Your Wilderness Partner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! That is exactly what I am going through now! Had I not had my angel Gena in my life, I would have thought I was being cursed, but instead I have an understanding that God is preparing me for something. Love you my angel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you Cyndi, my time in TN was a blessing I hold close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete