Thursday, March 31, 2011

Almost Missed It

My friend Mary who is a mighty woman of God and has the gift of prophecy was coming to town to speak at a local church.
My new friend Debbie and I decided we would go together to see her. My older children were planning on going too. Mary has had a huge impact in not only my life but my childrens so we were all looking forward to seeing her at some point during her stay in Florida.
Sunday morning came and I woke up with a migraine and hadn’t slept well the night before and bla bla bla. I decided I wouldn’t go to the church to see Mary but would wait til she was back at our mutual friend’s house and visit her there.
I mean really, why should I get up when I’m tired and drive all the way there when she won’t be able to put all her attention on me? So what that I could be a part of God moving in other people’s lives what’s in it for me? I didn’t actually have that last thought but I might as well have.
My son Anthony called that morning to see what time we were leaving and I said let’s not go and just see her later when she gets back.
I reminded him that Mary would be busy and again bla bla bla. My son (thank God) said he and Amanda were still going. Actually what he said was “what are you 100 reasons why not to go?”
It was then I remembered I told my friend Debbie I would go with her and I didn’t want to bail on her.
How sad I was going to bale on my kids but didn’t want to sell out a friend. What’s wrong with that picture? Sounds like another jewel….
As Debbie and I were driving and sharing stories I told her a story that as usual I have no idea why or where it came from.
It took place when I first moved to Florida after my divorce nearly 25 years ago. I took Anthony and Amanda to a theme park and they were riding on the carousel. You know how it is with little kids every time they pass you they are waving like crazy and all excited and you better be waving back which of course I was.
I saw a man on the other side of the carousel who no doubt was watching his child. I could tell this by the look on his face, that loving look that only a parent can have for their child.
I remembered thinking even if I remarried no one would look at my children that way, the way I do because they aren’t theirs.
*Side note: This look can come from an adoptive parent as well I’m not talking about someone who was involved in the act of making a baby I’m talking about someone who is an active loving parent.*
With that said I remember feeling sad and for whatever reason I shared this experience with Debbie.
We got to church and the Holy Spirit was so present and the service was awesome and I was being convicted for being a ninny head.
Why you ask? Glad you did.
I was a ninny head because I wasn’t going to go see Mary because she wouldn’t be able to talk to me anyway. She was there to minister to the congregation she was visiting.
The first thing the Lord showed me, well second, first I was being selfish, second the Lord reminded me I could be there for support for my sister and friend. I don’t know maybe even be praying while Mary was ministering. Ouch.
I couldn’t seem to get into the service or the flow if you will because other things were popping into my head and even though I said I was sorry I still didn’t feel right.
The Lord showed me that the presence of God had so filled the room that His light was illuminating things in me. Darkness and Light can’t both be present at the same time. It was because the Holy Spirit had consumed the room that things I needed to confess were being brought to light so that I could commune with the most High God.
It was a very cleansing experience and once I got past beating myself up and just accepted forgiveness my whole spirit changed.
A little while later Mary asked my son Anthony to stand and she spoke a prophetic word over him. As she spoke she reminded Anthony that he was God’s son and just as she said the word son the Lord put a vivid picture in my mind of Anthony and Amanda on the carousel. He then whispered to me “I look at them that way.”
He reminded me that He was then and is now their father. It was so precious and I just wept.
Mary ended up speaking over both my children and prayed for my grandson. I too received a prophetic word from another prophet who was visiting; God is so good He didn’t leave me out in spite of me. If I hadn’t gone I would have missed it all. Not just God speaking to my family but to Debbie and the other men and women that were blessed to hear from God that morning.
I told Debbie later that the only reason I went was because I told her I would and she confessed the only reason she went was because she told me she would.
Thank you Jesus that your agenda went forward no matter what we thought our agenda was.
In case you’re not familiar with the gift of prophecy let me give you the Gena translation. Please don’t take this as an expert explanation, it’s not.
Prophesying over someone is speaking life over them, speaking God’s word, encouraging and edifying them. Everyone can do it.
The gift of prophecy is when the Holy Spirit gives a word to someone that pertains to a specific person.
This is what Mary and Don were doing, giving specific words through the Holy Spirit to certain individuals.
Gems let’s not get lazy when we have an opportunity to be blessed. Let’s remember there is an anointing that happens at those God appointed times and when it’s gone you missed it. We are so easily swayed to not do something.
I’m always amazed when the Lord gives me a word for someone and I try to reach them and set up a time to see them or talk on the phone and they are too busy…..
I’m just as guilty. I knew a prophet was available and I was going to decide to miss it because it wasn’t the way I thought I wanted it.
Gems how did we get too busy, too tired, don’t feel like it, it’s my only day off, bla bla bla for God?
This was a great reminder for me to pay attention to what God is putting in front of me cause I almost missed it.

2 comments:

  1. Gena,
    Intriguing....very. Makes me wonder what I may have almsot missed.

    So, when your friend doesn't visit this local church, could it be called....Non-Prophet?
    Paul

    ReplyDelete