Saturday, March 5, 2011

No Slander Zone

I had an interesting thing happen to me the other day. I was at the printing company talking to Mark, the man who is working on Gena’s Jewels, and we were going over some changes to the book. My oldest son Anthony was with me and if you know Anthony you know he was messing with the guy. I assured Mark I was OK with having to wait for the book and Anthony started telling him that’s not what I say at home and how I trash the guy. I told him to stop, actually what I said was “stop Anthony he doesn’t know me and he’ll think I really said those things” to which Mark replied “I read your whole book I know you didn’t say those things.”

Isn’t that interesting, he felt he knew me even though we only met twice because he read stories I wrote. He didn't think I was the kind of person who would trash him and then be nice to his face. He had made a judgment call about my character without knowing me personally.

Ironically on the total opposite end of the spectrum I have a brother who I thought did know me. He has seen my life first hand. I have personally invested in his life and yet he doesn’t know me at all.

We had a falling out recently and if you’re wondering why you haven’t heard any of my parent stories it’s for this reason. My brother is now power of attorney for my parents and making all the decisions. How that happened will be another jewel; however it was not a pretty scene. I’m going to let you read part of an email my brother wrote about me to my sister:

Gena stole 5000 dollars from mom they need that money because dads insurance won’t pay all of the cost to put mom where she has to go. I’m not happy about it and will be talking to mom and dads layer when I go back. I had to get new titles for the car and the truck because she stole them to. genas daughter called me and gave me a hard time because she couldn't have the car who the hell dose gena think she is. Im gonna put her in jail if I can she made illegal papers up they weren’t witnessed or noterize. all they wanted was her to come once a month and help with the bills but couldn't even do that. now I have to drive every month and spend all my money to take care of mom and dad.the so called Christian can preach from jail now and rot in hell. shes nothing but a Liar and a thief.

Pretty strong words hu? It took me a few weeks before I could talk about it nerveless write about it. I was shocked because my brother didn't just think I was capable of these things he believes I did them! This is a powerful tool of the enemy, its called slander.

I'm not showing you this because I want someone to defend me or worse yet be mad at my brother. Its part of the “real people who have real problems” that Gena's Jewels is all about. I was deeply hurt by my brother’s words but more than that I felt sorry for him.

Of course I cried to my sweet Jesus about it and this was the devotional that was emailed to me the same day.

January 24, 2011. I know it is not easy. This will not last for a long time. If you hide yourself in Me during this time it will not feel as long, and not feel as hard. I have called you to rest and have surrounded you with love. Don't keep your mind on how hard it is. Keep your mind on the victory that will come, and your circumstances will not be overwhelming. Instead you will overwhelm your circumstances. You did nothing to bring it on, this just happened in the scheme of life. You are victorious and will look back someday and understand with amazement. You are a winner.
Romans 8:37 (NASB) "But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us." Bev Robinson

Is God good or what.

The thing that was so shocking to me was one man didn't believe I was capable of trashing him because he read Gena's Jewels and the other man thinks I'm capable of stealing from my own parents and I grew up with him.

Bottom line Gems there are people out there who are obviously filled with anger and they need our prayers even when they have attacked us with slanderous comments.

The enemy is looking for people he can use to be destructive and tear friends and families apart and we don't want to be a tool in that plan.

It would have been easy to call or write my brother back and tell him off but what would that have accomplished? Nothing.

When you get attacked you need to let the Lord handle that person in His way and your plan should be to pray for them.

Paul said in 1 Corinthians 4 that when men slandered him he answered with kind words. This is easier said than done and I have not always been this gracious. There was a time when these would have been fightin words and I'm ashamed to say I would have gone for the throat.

The truth is we can't be surprised when these things happen. The Bible warns us that they will.
Luke 12:51-53 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Ironically there are 5 children in my family and it's 3 against 2 so I am living proof of the above verse.

I know I'm not the only one who has had family attack them with slanderous words. People who have been accused of things you can't believe your own family would even think about you.

I want to encourage you Gems your not alone. God hears your heart, catches your tears and most of all He knows the truth.

Do your best not to retaliate with the tools of the enemy, we actually have a weapon that works and that's the word of God.

Romans 12:20 Therefore“ If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink;For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”

Psalm 101:5 Whoever secretly slanders his neighbor,Him I will destroy; The one who has a haughty look and a proud heart, Him I will not endure.

I didn't say that the Bible did. Our best defense is to do the right thing and let God do the rest.

Don't misunderstand me I'm not saying you should continue in a destructive relationship, believe me the door is closed between me and my brother BUT I will be praying for him and I have already forgiven him. That's the key, not to fester on it because the thing you feed is the thing that stays alive in your mind.

I'm not sure who this jewel is for and I may never know. I pray you will find comfort in knowing you are not alone and better than that comfort in God's word.

Psalm 57:3 He will send from heaven and save me from the slanders and reproaches of him who would trample me down or swallow me up, and He will put him to shame. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! God will send forth His mercy and loving-kindness and His truth and faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment