Monday, August 3, 2009

Walk INS Welcome

I had an embarrassing thing happen to me (again) it was a long time ago so apparently I’m consistent in this area. I had an appointment with a woman who was coming to my home in hopes of selling me something I didn’t need. Being in sales all my life I am a sucker for a fellow salesperson and on this particular day did not have the heart to just say no. The day of our appointment was a terrible day for me and the last thing I wanted to do was listen to this woman and her sales pitch for a product I didn’t need or want. The problem was it was too late to cancel so I was going with plan B. I left work early and headed for home. I was living in a duplex at the time so when I got home I yelled into the neighbors screen door, as we often did, and said “a woman is coming over to sell me something and I’m not going to answer the door so please don’t let her know I’m home.” An unfamiliar voice yelled back “too late, I was early and your neighbor said I could sit in here and wait for you.” Talk about embarrassing, the possibility of her showing up early had not crossed my devious mind. I thought I had outsmarted her by coming home early myself and working out my plan of deception. You know what they say “he who laughs last laughs best” or something like that.
I tell you this story because in life there are many appointments we can reschedule that you might be inconvenienced but no one will be seriously injured. However, there is one appointment that if we miss can cost us everything not just a moment of embarrassment or humiliation.
Jesus talks about an unknown appointment date He wants us to be ready for.
Matthew 24:27, 36-44 For as lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angles of Heaven, but my Father only. But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left. Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.
The Lord is reminding us that in the days of Noah people were busy with life just like we are. Noah was was telling them that a flood was on its way and if they weren’t on the boat they would die. Even if they didn’t hear directly about the flood I’m sure they heard about the crazy man building an ark no where near water. That alone should have made people stop and ask “why?” Noah could not tell them what time or day the flood was coming only that God said it was going to happen. The people were unconcerned with Noah’s message and were swept away unexpectedly right in the middle of their work day. Maybe they were sleeping, vacationing, getting a manicure, paying a bill; they were in the middle of their busy life and missed an appointment that caused them their life.
Jesus is using this example so history won’t repeat itself. We don’t have any idea when Jesus is coming back for His children. Not even the angels know the day or time but just like the flood He is coming!
Listen my gems, we have no idea when the Lord is coming and we have this mindset that there’s always tomorrow. What if there is no tomorrow for you? It may not be that Jesus returns tomorrow but that your life unexpectedly ends. We don’t know the day or time of that event either do we? I’m sharing God’s words with you because the Bible says the God doesn’t want anyone to perish. You don’t need to schedule an appointment with the Father. He is always available.
If you have not asked Jesus to be the Lord of your life I implore you to do it today. Just say “Jesus I need you, I know you died for me and there is nothing I need to do but accept you and your forgiveness.” Don’t be left behind, get on the Heavenly ark, Walk INS are welcome.


Gena’s Jewels

No comments:

Post a Comment